The 10 Worst Parts Of Dance
Even though becoming a professional dancer may be your dream job, every job has its downsides. Being a dancer is an amazing career, but it would be nice to know a few of the cons before jumping in. So, we reached out to our dance community and asked: from your experience, what is the hardest part about dance?
- The negativity of competing
- More noes than yeses
- Trying to make it look easy and effortless. Sometimes you get caught up focusing so much on your technique that one can see it on your face.
- Having to miss something/event you really want to do because “I have Dance”.
- Not having your work recognized and paid for correctly in the professional world. Too many dancers are asked to volunteer their time like it is a cute hobby.
- Perfecting the moves!!!
- The toll it takes on your joints.
- The mental health issues.
- The body image issues.
- The lack of education about the body in relation to the sport.
Hopefully we haven’t discouraged you from wanting to become a dancer. But we think it’s important to know both the pros and cons to being a professional dancer. And remember, not everyone is going to experience all of these cons because everyone’s experience is different. Also, thank you to our awesome dance community for helping contribute to this article:
Brandi Hewitt Carothers
Marni Bloye Vaughen
By: AJ (Intern)