Is Dance A Sport Or An Art Form?
Is dance a sport or an art form? A question either you have been asked or maybe you asked someone yourself. While dance is a physical activity, you don’t have to compete. Dance is a way of expressing emotions and telling a story, but it’s more physically demanding than other forms of expression. So, we’re giving our opinion today! We reached out to our dance community to find out their thoughts.
- You definitely need both for dance 🙌❤️❤️
- I think it’s different for everyone and comes down to why someone dances ❤️
- Definitely takes an artist to perform the athletic feat required in dance ❤️ so both!
- Both because you need artistry & stamina 🙌
- It's an art that takes an athlete to perform.
- Absolutely both. It takes strength, stamina and training to do the movements but it takes art to make them truly beautiful.
- Both sport because it requires athleticism and art form because you are experiencing and expressing your feelings through it.
- Dancers are athletes and take their athleticism beyond performance to artistic. Sports Athletes are judged at a physical performance and dancers are judged on both athletic performance as well as emotional artist performance.
- It is definitely both. It takes the strength of a skilled form of sport to do the moves or pointe to dance and the strength to do the art form of dancing to show the skills and grace of a dancer.
- Both because it is impossible to do well without the strength of an athlete and the grace and elegance of a brush and on a canvas.
- Both because dancers train hours and hours and many days weekly, monthly and yearly. It is a sport because it involves so many muscles that other athletes don’t even use or if they do they don’t use them right. It’s also an art form because it is a form of telling a story or expressing how someone or something is. ￼
All of these are awesome answers! What are your thoughts, is dance a sport or an art form? And shoutout to our amazing community for helping contribute to this article:
Susan Cronan Picou
By: AJ (Intern)